Role Of Cranberry Extract Against UTIs
Cranberry extract, being packed with antioxidants, has a lot of benefits for our bodies. Cranberry has been traditionally used for the management of urinary tract infections for so long. Cranberry extract contains important phytochemicals such as anthocyanin, proanthocyanidins, and vitamin C. These all act as antioxidants and protect the body against harmful chemicals. That is why cranberry extract is also helpful in lowering bacterial infections such as urinary tract infections.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are common bacterial infections, that occur when bacteria enter the urethra and infect the urinary tract. The infections may affect several parts of the urinary tract, but the bladder is mostly affected. Hence, the bladder infection is the most common type of UTIs. In addition to medications like antibiotics, there are also natural extract remedies that are beneficial in the management of urinary tract infections. Cranberry extract is one of the effective remedies to reduce bacterial infections (UTIs).
What are the symptoms of urinary tract infections?
• Pain or burning sensation while urinating
• Frequent urination
• Feeling the need to urinate despite having an empty bladder
• Bloody urine
• Pressure or cramping in the lower abdomen
Natural extracts to reduce UTIs:
Cranberry juice and cranberry extract supplements, are perhaps the most popular natural extracts for UTIs. Cranberries contain compounds such as phenolic acids and flavonoids, which may prevent UTIs.
These compounds may help in the following ways:
• Interfere with the ability of bacteria to stick to the lining of the urinary tract
• Reduce inflammation
• Regulate the number of gut bacteria
• Decrease the number of bacteria present in the bladder and gastrointestinal tracts that can lead to UTIs
Those people who are suffering from UTIs make sure to add cranberry to their diet in the form of whole fruit, cranberry juice, or cranberry extract supplements to manage the symptoms.
What are the Best Cranberry Supplements?
Cranberry extracts are used in supplements. Nutrifactor’s Cranflo is the premium quality supplement that contains Cranberry Extract. Cranberry Extract is composed of natural active substances, anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, and vitamin C that help to reduce urinary tract infections. Cranflo is enriched with vitamin C to maximize the antioxidant support although vitamin C is already present in the cranberry extract. Vitamin C plays an important role in supporting the body's immune function by fighting free radicals. Cranflo is a safe, well-tolerated herbal supplement that can be consumed easily.
Preventive measures to avoid UTIs:
Those people who are suffering from frequent UTIs or are at risk of getting these infections, should follow these easy and evidence-based tips to avoid the onset of such infections.
• Stay hydrated: Some studies have shown that drinking at least 6–8 cups (1.5–2 liters) of water per day may protect against UTI recurrence in certain people.
• Lower your intake of certain foods and beverages: Those diets that are high in soda, coffee, alcohol, artificially sweetened beverages, and animal proteins may increase UTI risk and worsen the situation.
• Don’t delay urination: Delayed voiding, or waiting to pee, is linked with an increased risk of recurrent UTIs in people. Not urinating frequently enough can cause bacteria to accumulate inside the urinary tract.
• Maintain healthy body weight: Obesity and being sedentary are linked to higher rates of recurrent UTIs. Maintaining a healthy body weight and getting enough physical activity may reduce the risk of UTIs.