Melatonin Benefits in Insomnia; Natural and Drug-Free Sleeping Tablets
Insomnia is the trouble falling asleep at night, which is a very frustrating and annoying condition when we don’t know the obvious cause of it. It is the high need of the hour to discuss the most important but common and rising sleeping disorder, i.e., insomnia.
Insomnia is prevailing at a rapid rate among adolescents and adults globally, including Pakistan. According to a research survey in Karachi, one-third of the population was taking sleeping pills which is a clear indication of the rising rate of insomnia and other sleeping disorders like Jet lag, in Pakistan.
Melatonin Benefits in Regulating Sleep Cycle & Managing Insomnia:
Melatonin is a hormone released from the pineal gland, in the brain. It is produced under a series of enzymatic reactions from tryptophan. Melatonin is released in response to darkness, that is why it is called the “hormone of darkness.”
The important function that melatonin plays in our body is the regulation of the sleep-wake cycle. Due to this reason, it is also called the “sleep hormone.”
How melatonin regulates our sleep cycle is, that it binds with the receptors which are present in our brain to help us relax. It also aids in reducing the dopamine levels in the body, the hormone which keeps us stay awake all day.
A good amount of melatonin in our body helps reduce the risk of the onset of insomnia and promotes normal and good quality sleep.
The reduced level of melatonin hormone in our body leads to difficulty in falling asleep or low sleep quality. Chronic sleep disturbance can cause insomnia which is an annoying and disturbing condition for our body.
What are the Causes of Insomnia?
• Mental, social or emotional stress
• Eating large meals late at night
• Spending more time in front of the screen, especially at night
• Sleep-related disorders like jet lag
• Poor sleep habits
• Disturbed sleep due to travel or work schedule
• High consumption of caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol
7 Easy-To-Follow Tips to Manage Insomnia:
1. Spend some time under the sun for the regulation of circadian rhythm. Circadian rhythm is the 24-hour internal clock of our body that controls our sleep-wake cycle. This clock sets the normal sleep time, but our unusual routine and stress can disturb this internal clock of the sleep-wake cycle.
This internal clock is not just for the sleep-wake cycle. It is for everything that occurs in our body. We do have internal clocks for our immune system, digestion, hormones, and other body systems.
2. Do aerobic or resistant exercises such as brisk walking, running, jogging, weight lifting, etc., for almost 30 minutes, preferably in the morning. Because it will keep you fresh all day and help you sleep faster at night. According to some research outcomes, doing moderate exercise in the evening also reduces stress and anxiety, and helps the mind relax in the preparation for sleep.
3. Do not exceed the nap time of 20-30 minutes. A nap is a short period of sleep that is usually taken in the daytime because it helps you relax, reduce fatigue, and enhance alertness. The nap length must not be more than the mentioned time otherwise, it can disturb the night sleep pattern.
4. Avoid consuming caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol at bedtime, because it can disturb the internal clock of a normal night’s sleep.
5. Limit the screen time for almost an hour before going to bed, because it delays melatonin production which leads to delayed and less restful sleep.
6. Sleep in a comfortable bedroom with all the lights turned off because the blue light can disrupt the melatonin production in the body, which is released in response to the darkness.
7. Consume a good quality dietary supplement of melatonin for better sleep quality. Because food supplements that contain melatonin and sleeping-inducing natural herbal extracts can help reduce the symptoms of insomnia.
Which are the Best Melatonin Supplements Available in Pakistan?
Nutrifactor’s Melatonin, Melatonix, and Sleep Well are the best melatonin supplements available in Pakistan.
These are drug-free, non-habit-forming supplements that contain melatonin, whereas Sleep Well also provides some sleep-inducing natural extracts such as, Valerian Root Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, and Passion Flower Extract. These are very helpful in relaxing the mind and promoting a smooth & healthy sleep.
Consuming any of these supplements can help in reducing insomnia, and promoting good quality sleep. So, choose natural and healthy food supplements to manage early-stage insomnia rather than becoming habitual of using sleeping pills.