Essential Vitamins for Men and Women
Anything that our body is to obtain from an external source; from diet or dietary supplements, is essential for our body. Several nutrients including vitamins, fall in this category. However, a balanced diet that includes appropriate portions from all food groups is enough to fulfill the requirement for the most of the vitamins, but in some scenarios, our bodies may get deficient in particular vitamins that are essential for our body. And, this is the point where supplements can play a vital role in providing the best essential vitamins for men and women health.
What role do the vitamins play in our body?
Every nutrient has its specific role to play in the body functioning. Similarly, each vitamin is assigned with particular functions to perform in our body. Although all vitamins are important for the normal functioning of the body, but some of them are more essential than the rest.
1. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A is required by our body for the proper functioning of vision, immune system and better skin tone.
2. Vitamin D:
Vitamin D is essential for promoting the overall health of men and women as it is involved in the enhanced absorption of calcium. Calcium is required by our body for multiple purposes; it is essential for strong bones and proper muscle movement. Moreover, vitamin D also helps in improving the immunity.
3. Vitamin C & Vitamin E:
Both these vitamins are involved in providing antioxidant support, as well as protecting the skin from getting damage. Vitamin C is also essential for enhancing the iron absorption, from the food and improving cartilage formation.
4. B Vitamins:
Although the complete B-complex is essential to our body, but a few of them; B1, B3, B6, B7 and B9, are more vital in regard to the diversity of the functions these vitamins perform.
• B1, B3 and B6 are involved in boosting energy production whereas B6 also acts as a cofactor in the production of “serotonin”, a relaxing hormone produced by our body in response to the daily stress.
• B7, also known as Biotin, is essential for the good quality health of hair, nails and skin.
• B9 is another B vitamin also known as Folic Acid, essential for healthy red blood cells production and maintaining normal growth of the fetus in pregnancy.
Rich sources of these vitamins:
These essential vitamins for maintaining a good health status in men and women can be obtained from natural sources and dietary supplements. When a person is not able to get these essential vitamins through dietary options, the dietary supplements can help in managing these deficiencies. Anyhow, following foods can be the best source of these vitamins:
• B-complex: Whole grains (wheat, brown rice, barley and oats)
• Vitamin A: Dairy products, liver meat, yellow and slightly orange-colored fruits and vegetables (sweet potato, mango, papaya, etc.)
• Vitamin E: Sea food, nuts and seeds (almonds and sunflower seeds)
• Vitamin C: Citrus fruits, cucumber, guava and strawberries
• Vitamin D: Fish oil and egg yolk
Apart from these food sources, dietary supplements can also be a helpful way for men and women to fill up the bodies with these essential vitamins. But, make sure to balance the life with nutrient rich diet and appropriate activity level.